History of the Plymouth Garden Club
The Plymouth Garden Club began as a Horticultural Committee of the Women’s Club, meeting at the home of its founder, Mrs. Charles Barké (Carrie). In 1929 it became an independent Garden Club, with Mrs. Barké as its first president. The Club has been a member of the Massachusetts Federation of Garden Clubs since 1971. Projects and activities over the years have included plantings at various schools and historical houses as well as The Plymouth Public Library, Brewster Gardens, Town Brook and Jenney Pond. The Junior Gardeners Environmental Enrichment Program for Plymouth Public Schools’ 5th grade is another important program. It teaches the importance of conservation, natural resources, and the environment. Arbor Day plantings of trees around Plymouth have become a tradition.
Flower Shows have been held in Plymouth at Memorial Hall, The Hedge House of the Antiquarian Society, the Mayflower Society House, Citizens Bank, Masonic Lodge, the Loring Center and the Plymouth Guild for the Arts. The Garden Club has also cooperated with the Plymouth Guild for the Arts with floral arrangements in local art shows.
Members have participated in Art in Bloom at the Museum of Fine Arts for many years as well as in District and State Flower Shows and the New England Flower Show.
Scholarships are awarded annually to graduating seniors of Plymouth High Schools who are enrolled in a course of study relevant to the purpose of the club.
Our Club is a busy, active and community-oriented Club.